For all Travellers!! Driving a vehicle in the country that we travel is an option which we can go to the destination quicker & sometimes it is cheaper especially traveling in a group. But, not all in the world accept Malaysia Driving License, there will be countries that will accept it especially ASEAN (South East Asia) countries and a majority of Commonwealth Countries.
The good thing is that many people didn’t know is that the license can still be used by Applying for an International Driving Permit. It is very easy and cheap, just RM150 for only for one year.
International Driving Permit known as ‘IDP’ can be made at any JPJ State / Branch Office or you can do it at the Malaysian Automobile Association (AAM) Office. With such simple steps, what you need to do is to provide the document and fill out a specific form at the JPJ Counter (JPJL1).
- Original or Copy Slip of Identity Card (IC) / Passport (for non Malaysian)
- Original Identity Card (IC) / Passport if the transaction is made by the representative.
- Bring a Competent Driving License (CDL).
- 1 piece of passport sized color photograph (white background).
Eligibility for IDP Application:-
- Have a Competent Driving License (CDL) which is still in force for more than 1 year.
- Make sure that Owners are not blacklisted
- Keep in mind that the IDP period is only for 1 year only.
With all the documents and you completed the process to apply the IDP at JPJ, now your driving license can be used not only in Malaysia but also to the majority of countries in the world. With this permit, hopefully, you can enjoy driving with a calm and peaceful journey.
Below is a list of countries that can use IDP:-
Drive Safe, Be Safe & Enjoy the journey!